Durban’s Bay of Plenty winner Sarah Maritz is set to defend her Surfing SA-sanctioned, 3A ASP Africa-rated Billabong Girls Get Out There Surf Series title in the second of four events under way today at Margate Beach, which produces a multiple-peak beach-break offering, ideal waves for beginners and experts alike.
Sarah will be under pressure from East London’s Nikita Robb, who won the Roxy Wahine Open and U18 titles on the weekend in Durban ahead of second-placed Sarah. “I’m feeling good for this event,” Nikita told gsport this morning.
“I’m just hoping to get the waves, and do as well as I did in the last event. (The waves) are pretty solid, they’re a lot bigger than the waves on the weekend at the (Roxy Wahine Cup) event on the weekend,” said Nikita, who is entered to surf in both the Women’s Open and the Pro Junior age-group divisions.
The tournament bills itself as the country’s biggest and most lucrative all-girls surfing series, and features top surfers and novices battling it out for a total of R20 000 in prize-money, of which R12 500 is shared by the top 16 finishers in the Open women.
All heats consist of four surfers, and organisers use various elimination formats to determine the top four in each age category, who compete for prize-money in the final. The finals in all divisions will be staged tomorrow, Wednesday 6 December.
There are also free Yoga sessions, beach volleyball courts and balls provided or participants can hang out and watch surf videos in the Liqui Fruit Lounge on the beach.
1. Sarah Maritz (Warner Beach, KZN)
2. Stacey Guy (Melkbosstrand)
3. Tammy-Lee Smith (Salt Rock, KZN)
4. Nikita Robb (East London)
1. Nikita Robb (East London)
2. Tarryn Chudleigh (Kommetjie)
3. Heidi Palmboom (Bluff)
4. Telana Flanagan (East London)
1. Alice McGregor (East London)
2. Holly Armstrong (Kommetjie)
3. Cara Macdonald (East London)
4. Puvashnee Nydoo (Umhlatuzana, Dbn)
Novices (U18’s who have never won a contest)
1. Annie De Vries (Umhlanga)
2. Nikita Kekana (Glenwood, Dbn)
3. Chanelle Botha (Warner Beach)
4. Micaela Venter (Warner Beach)
The 2006/7 Billabong ‘Girls Get Out There’ Summer Surf Series is proudly supported by Soft Lips, Liqui Fruit, First National Bank (FNB), Von Zipper, Kustom, Silver Bullet, Interstage and the series is presented by Nashua Mobile.