DSAC Drums Up Support for #NetballFriday Ahead of NWC2023

The Department of Sport, Arts and Culture (DSAC) has promised more buzz and excitement in the buildup to the Netball World Cup, which will be hosted in Cape Town from 28 July to 6 August 2023. Photo: Department of Sport, Arts & Culture (Twitter)

The Department of Sport, Arts and Culture (DSAC) has promised more buzz and excitement in the buildup to the Netball World Cup, which will be hosted in Cape Town from 28 July to 6 August 2023.

The commitment was made at Mehlareng Stadium in Tembisa on Friday, 14 April, when Minister of Sport, Arts and Culture, Zizi Kodwa and Deputy Minister, Nocawe Mafu, were joined by leading sporting figures as DSAC officially launched its support for the #NetballFriday initiative.

 

Yesterday’s #NetballFriday launch comes on the back of work done over the past few months to build netball courts around South Africa as part of South Africa’s Netball World Cup Legacy Project.

On the 2nd of February 2022, DSAC and Netball South Africa kick-started the legacy project in Hammarsdale, as the programme began at Sibonokuhle High School and Salphine Primary School, where Deputy Minister, Nocawe Mafu and NSA President, Cecilia Molokwane, spent time connecting with learners, donated sanitary towels and Gilbert Netball balls.

The following day, Mafu and Molokwane headed to Spar Proteas captain, Bongi Msomi’s former high school, Luthayi High for the handover of the multi-purpose sport facility.

 

At the kick-start event, Deputy Minister Mafu said: “This initiative has presented to all of us an opportunity to create a legacy which will be able to produce future stars who can serve as our country’s ambassadors and contribute to future administration of the sport. We are also pleased to be celebrating a Netball icon as we kick-start the legacy programme.”

Since then, the legacy project has been making rounds across the country, where netball courts have been unveiled in Mpumalanga, Vhembe District in Limpopo, as well as Mohlakeng in the west of Johannesburg.

In December 2022, the NWC Legacy Project made its way to the Northern Cape, where the multi-purpose sport facility was handed over to the community of Nababeep in the Namakwa District.

Click here to check the facility in Northern Cape

As we count down the days to hosting the global showpiece on home soil, Minister Zizi Kodwa has emphasised the importance on the development of the sport.

On Wednesday, 12 April 2023, at the launch of the 2023 Telkom Netball League campaign, the Minister, said: “We want to see more young girls participating because sport plays an important role in social cohesion and nation building.”

Speaking on the launch of #NetballFriday, Minister Kodwa, concluded: “We do need a special moment to lift up the mood in the country and #NetballFriday will be key in helping us keep our spirits up until the World Cup.”

 

 

Photo 1 Caption: The Department of Sport, Arts and Culture (DSAC) has promised more buzz and excitement in the buildup to the Netball World Cup, which will be hosted in Cape Town from 28 July to 6 August 2023. Photo: Department of Sport, Arts & Culture (Twitter)

Please Rate this Post

0 ratings, 0 votes0 ratings, 0 votes (0 rating, 0 votes, rated)
You need to be a registered member to rate this.
Loading...

Recent Posts

Categories

Follow Us