South Africa’s women athletes have been representing the country with pride around the world over the past year and it is time to honour them at South Africa’s only awards dedicated to women’s sport.
Public nominations have opened for the 8th Annual SPAR gsport Awards, which lauds South African women athletes, and the many valuable contributions made to raise the profile of the game.
The month-long nominations process will see the public nominate their top candidates across eight categories. Nominations can be made via the gsport website and via gsport’s social media channels, twitter.com/gsport4girls and facebook.com/gsport4girls.
gsport Founder Kass Naidoo said: “We are excited to have SPAR on board for the second year running as title sponsor. Every year since 2006, gsport has celebrated outstanding contributions to raise the profile of women’s sport in South Africa. It is exciting to see which stars will grab gsport honours this year.
“We are proud to be involved in this prestigious event and in particular celebrating women’s achievements in sport,” said Belinda Nel, Sponsorship Manager SPAR.
On the Awards activation, Naidoo was positive that 2013 would see greater involvement. “The key to the success of last year’s public nominations process, which unearthed outstanding candidates from around the country, was the input of our Awards ambassadors, and we are delighted to once again have their support.”
The 2013 SPAR gsport Awards ambassadors, who will lead the call to encourage greater public participation in the nominations process are MTV VJ Roxy Burger, 94.7 Drive time host, Anele Mdoda, SABC Sport presenter Mpho Maboi, model and businesswoman, Shashi Naidoo, media all-rounder Hulisani Ravele, and TV & radio personality Liezel van der Westhuizen.
The nominations process will be overseen by gsport’s elite judging panel, which includes 2007 gsport Hall of Fame winner Hazel Gumede, veteran woman in media Jane Bramley, world leader in visual performance Dr. Sherylle Calder and businesswoman Uyanda Mbuli.
- Nominations Open: 8am, Wednesday 11 September
- Nominations Close: 12noon, Wednesday 9 October
- [fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”][Closed Session: Judges decide on Award category finalists]
- Public voting at gsport.co.za: Wed 30 October to Wed 13 November
- Winners Unveiled: At SPAR gsport Awards, Wed 20 November, 2013
- Official HashTag: #SPARgsportAwards
Nominations can be submitted at:
- gsport website: www.gsport.co.za/nominations
- Email: [email protected]
- Twitter: twitter.com/gsport4girls
- Facebook: facebook.com/gsport4girls
Nominations are being sought for:
- The 2013 SPAR gsport Athlete of the Year Award (gsport is seeking nominations among world-class or similarly remarkable SA women athletes)
- The 2013 gsport Athlete of the Year with a Disability (world-class SA women athletes with disability)
- The 2013 gsport Up & Coming Athlete of the Year (SA women athletes who are destined for success)
- The 2013 gsport Woman of the Year Award (SA women who are exemplified by years of support of SA women in sport)
- The 2013 gsport Woman in Media Award (SA women sports journalists across all media)
- The 2013 gsport Style Star Award (Any SA woman in sport)
- The 2013 gsport Coach of the Year (Any SA woman or man coach of SA women athletes); and
- The 2013 gsport Volunteer of the Year (Any SA woman or man who stands our for their support of SA women in sport)
gsport requires the following information:
- Name of the person submitting the nomination
- Contact details of the person submitting the nomination
- Name of the person being nominated
- The 2013 SPAR gsport Awards category the person is being nominated in
- Contact details of the person being nominated (if known); and
- A few compelling reasons why the person being nominated should be considered for an Award
2012 SPAR gsport Awards Winners: Volunteer of the Year: Anela Mahamba Sports Federation of the Year: SA Hockey Association Sponsor of the Year: SASOL SPAR Recognition Award: Bruce Davidson Style Star of the Year: Lalla Hirayama Coach of the Year: Elize Kotze Woman in Media: Tarryn Steenekamp Woman of the Year: Venessa Clack Up and Coming Athlete of the Year: Thato Makhafola Athlete of the Year with a Disability: Natalie du Toit SPAR Athlete of the Year: Caster Semenya gsport Hall of Fame Inductee: Muditambi Ravele