Thrilling FIFA WWC Opener for Banyana Banyana 

A fighting performance from South Africa’s Banyana Banyana ends in a 2-1 loss against Sweden in their FIFA Women’s World Cup opening match at Wellington Regional Stadium on Sunday, 23 July.

In the first half, Sweden had their fair share of attacks, particularly down the right wing, but South Africa’s defence managed to deal with their efforts. Both teams had their chances, with Sweden dominating ball possession at 74 percent. 

Despite Sweden’s control and dominance, poor crossing affected their chances of breaking the deadlock. Towards the end of the first half, South Africa’s Kgatlana had a chance to score, but her shot went wide of the near post. Sweden earned multiple corners, but South Africa defended resolutely and cleared the danger. The first half ended goalless.

As the second half began, Sweden started scrappily, misplacing passes and allowing South Africa opportunities to attack down the left. In the 48th minute, South Africa took the lead through Hildah Magaia, assisted by Thembi Kgatlana. Magaia’s shot was parried by the Swedish goalkeeper, but she reacted quickly and threw herself at the ball to send it into the net. The goal sparked jubilation among the South African players and fans. 

Despite Sweden’s efforts to regain control, South Africa prevented them from finding opportunities. The game became scrappy as the rain poured down in Wellington. Sweden made substitutions in search of a victory, while South Africa made a change of their own. 

Sweden kept possession and waited for South Africa to be out of position, but the South African defence remained steadfast. As the match headed towards the final minutes, South Africa seemed content with a draw and focused on defending. However, in the 89th minute, Sweden won their 11th corner of the night, and Amanda Ilestedt headed the ball into the net to secure a late victory for Sweden. Despite six minutes of injury time, South Africa couldn’t find an equaliser. The match ended with a score of 2-1 in favour of Sweden.

Sweden’s comeback victory earned them three crucial points in the group stage, while South Africa’s valiant effort ended in disappointment as they couldn’t hold on for a draw.

Van der Gragt’s Goal and Defensive Brilliance Lead Netherlands to 1-0 Victory Over Portugal

Netherlands secured a 1-0 victory against Portugal, who made their World Cup debut in Group E. The Dutch started the match strongly, with Stefanie van der Gragt heading in a corner to give them an early lead. Initially, there was some confusion as Jill Roord was in an offside position, but after a VAR check, the goal was awarded as Roord was not interfering with play.

Throughout the first half, the Netherlands dominated control of the game, limiting Portugal’s chances in their box. Possession was relatively balanced, with the Netherlands having 61% of the ball.

In the second half, Portugal showed more attacking intent, with Jessica Silva at the forefront of their attacks. However, both teams struggled to find the back of the net. Jessica Silva received the first yellow card for Portugal after hauling back Jackie Groenen, while Catarina Amadao of the Netherlands was booked for pulling back Danielle van de Donk.

Despite Portugal’s efforts, they were unable to equalise, with van der Gragt making crucial challenges to keep the Netherlands in the lead. In the dying minutes of the game, there was one last speculative ball forward from Portugal, but van der Gragt once again came through with a strong challenge to secure the victory.

France and Jamaica Battle to Goalless Draw

In a highly anticipated Group F matchup at Sydney Football Stadium, France and Jamaica played out a goalless draw in the Women’s World Cup 2023. Despite a closely contested first half, France dominated possession and had several scoring opportunities, but Jamaica’s solid defence, led by Khadija Shaw and Allyson Swaby, kept them at bay.


Both teams showcased their physicality throughout the match, with several yellow cards being shown. Clara Mateo received the first yellow card for France in the 14th minute, while Atlanta Primus of Jamaica was shown a yellow in the 23rd minute. Jamaica had more possession and goal-scoring chances in the first half but failed to capitalise. France, on the other hand, looked more clinical when they did have the ball. A well-taken free kick by Khadija Shaw for Jamaica came close to breaking the deadlock, but it veered wide of the goal.

The second half saw France making the first substitution, bringing on Kenza Dali and Vicki Becho. Diani had three opportunities to score but was unable to find the target. Both teams made further changes, but the match remained deadlocked at 0-0.

Despite France’s dominance and numerous corner kicks, they were unable to find the winning goal. Jamaica defended valiantly and even had a few chances of their own, but the match ended without either team finding the back of the net.

In the closing minutes of the match, tempers flared, and Khadija Shaw was shown a red card for an incident involving Wendie Renard, becoming the third player to be sent off in the tournament so far.

Photo 1 Caption: A fighting performance from South Africa’s Banyana Banyana ends in a 2-1 loss to Sweden in their FIFA Women’s World Cup opening match at Wellington Regional Stadium on Sunday, 23 July. Photo: FIFA WWC (Instagram)

Please Rate this Post

0 ratings, 0 votes0 ratings, 0 votes (0 rating, 0 votes, rated)
You need to be a registered member to rate this.

Recent Posts


Follow Us