Tuks athlete, Phindile Kubheka, smashed the field at the University Sport South Africa Championships in Johannesburg to win the women’s 100m title in 11.68 finishing ahead of Nicola van der Merwe (11.76) and Marizaan Loots (11.78).
Kubheka was in blistering form as she pulled away from the field to beat the 2019 time set by Tsaone Sebele to win the women’s 100m final in a time of 11.74.
Kubheka was one of a host of leading women in sport to taste victory at another successful USSA Champs. Athletes from around South Africa showcased their abilities at University of Johannesburg as the championships made a return after almost two years of inactivity.
Olympian Justine Palframan continued her medal-winning performances, bagging gold in the 200m final and claiming a season’s best with victory in the 400m event.
“3 200ms on one day with 2 hours apart was no joke, but walking away with a season’s best,” Palframan shared on her Instagram page.
“Grateful for all the support I received this weekend. Thank you to everyone for the messages, the phone calls, for sitting with me and for making me laugh.
“So happy my parents could be there to watch me run.”
Another big performer, Prudence Sekgodiso, turned up the heat on the track becoming the country’s national university 800m champion beating UFS’ Tsepang Sello and Tuks’ Charné Swart, respectively.
RESULTS | Women Senior 1500m
🥇 SEKGODISO PRUDENCE – TUTA 04:31.13
🥈 COPELAND SARAH – STEL 04:33.10
🥉 SELLO TSEPANG – UFS A 04:37.90#USSAAthletics
— #TeamSA (@USSAstudent) May 15, 2021
In the 400m hurdles race, Zeney van der Walt earned gold as she crossed the finish line in a time of 0:57.27, ahead of Ané Erasmus and Elitha Sylvester.
Patience Ntshingila was another top performer, winning the senior triple jump event with a 13.21 jump.
Check out more results below!
Selected Results from the 2021 USSA Championships from 13-15 May, 2021, in Johannesburg:
Senior Women 100m:
1. Phindile Kubheka (TUKS A) 11.68
2. Nicola van der Merwe (NWUE A) 11.76
3. Marizaan Loots (TUKS A) 11.78
Senior Women 200m:
1. Justine Palframan (STEL) 23.37
2. Ane Rautenbach (NWUEA) 23.58
3. Shere Janse van Rensburg (NWUEA) 23.95
3000m Steeple Chase F25:
1. Lizandre Mulder (UFS A) 11:36.37
2. Carina Swiegers (TUKS A) 11:46.22
3. Kirsti Bell (TUKS A) 12:12.56
Senior Women Triple Jump:
1. Patience Ntshingila (UJ A) 13.21
2. Cathrine Makaya (UJ A) 12.72
3. Amber Ahrozanne Nakas (MAD) 12.01
Senior Women Pole Vault:
1. Mire Reinstorf (STEL) 3.95
2. Nadja Fourie (NWUE A) 3.00
Senior Women 10000m:
1. Nicole van der Merwe (UJ A) 37:55.71
2. Rachel Leistra (UJ A) 38:19.74
3. Masigo Tsholofelo Zwane (TUT A) 0:00.88
Senior Women Hammer Throw:
1. Marg Cumming (NWU A) 64.42
2. Leandri Geel (UJ A) 60.10
3. Phethisang Makhethe (NWU A) 56.03
1. Marissa Swanepoel (NWUE A) 0:53:31.38
2. Annette Koen (NWUE A) – 0:55:10.38
3. Meanri Erasmus (NWUE A) – 1:01:12.00
1. Geraldine King (UWC A) 00868
2. Shannon Verster (1) (TUKS A) 00810
3. Gabrielle Lazarus (UWC A) 00626
4. Ameerah Donough (UWC A) 00618
Women 100mH F25 Wind: +0.5:
1. Marione Fourie (TUKS A) – 13.60
2. Kayla van der Berg (TUKS A) 13.69
3. Inge van der Merwe (NWUE A) – 13.95
Senior Women Heptathlon:
1. Shannon Verster (TUKS A) 4986
2. Geraldine King (UWC A) 4612
3. Gabrielle Lazarus (UWC A) 4216
4. Ameerah Donough (UWC A) 3484
Senior Women Half Marathon:
1. Nicole van der Merwe (UJ A) 1:23:52.00
2. Beatrice Themane (TUT A) 1:28:55.00
3. Tsholofelo Masigo – (TUT A) 1:36:08.00
Senior Women Long Jump:
1. Helene Esther Peens – (TUKS A) 6.29
2. Andrea Cornelissen – (STEL) 6.05
3. Karissa van Wyk – (NWUE B) 6.0
Senior Women 800m:
1. Prudence Sekgodiso (TUT A) 2:07.46
2. Tsepang Sello (UFS A) 2:10.81
3. Charne Eileen Swart (TUKS A) 2:11.45
Senior Women 400m Hurdles:
1. Zeney van der Walt – (TUKS A) 0:57.2
2. Ane Erasmus – (UFS A) 1:01.01
3. Elitha Sylvester – (STEL) 1:06.1
Senior Women 5000m:
1. Sarah Copeland – (STEL) 17:36.55
2. Rachel Leistra – (UJ A) 18:13.34
3. Nicole van der Merwe – (UJ A) 18:17.73
Photo 1 Caption: Phindile Kubheka scorched to the 100m print gold medal with a time of 11.68, finishing ahead of NWUEA’s Nicola van der Merwe in second with 11.76 and Tuks team-mate Marizaan Loots in 11.78. Photo: Phindile Kubheka/Instagram
Photo 2 Caption: Olympic athlete, Justine Palframan, continued with her medal-winning performance, claiming gold in the 200m final at the USSA Athletics Championships at University of Johannesburg. Photo: University Sport South Africa (Facebook)
Photo 3 Caption: Prudence Sekgodiso (middle), turned up the heat on the track becoming the country’s national university 800m champion beating UFS’ Tsepang Sello (right) and Tuks’ Charné Swart (left), respectively, at the USSA Athletics Championships at University of Johannesburg. Photo: USSA/Skhu Nkomphela