Women in sport are being put first as Momentum and the gsport Trust partner once again to stage the 2020 Momentum gsport Awards, celebrating 15 years of the country’s longest running women’s sport recognition platform.
To honour this significant milestone, the first ever recipient of a gsport award, Penny Heyns, has been announced as this year’s ambassador, after her global feats inspired the launch of gsport back in 2006.
To further honour this special year, two new award categories have been added – the Global Women in Sport award and the African Women in Sport Award – which elevates the awards to a truly global platform of recognition.
Former national netball captain, Zanele Mdodana, continues in her role as official spokesperson of the campaign while 2007 gsport Hall of Famer and gsport trustee, Hazel Gumede, takes on a mentorship role.
The public can nominate their favourite woman in sport across 21 award categories at gsport.co.za/nominations or via email at from 10 June to 10 July.
Minister of Sport, Arts and Culture, Nathi Mthethwa, will honour five Ministerial Recognition Award winners.
Founder of gsport, Kass Naidoo, says: “Covid-19 and the cancellation of live sport has hit our industry hard. At the same time, we want to acknowledge the successes and strides made by women in sport in 2019, which was a stand out year on so many levels.”
“It is exciting to have the great Penny Heyns on board as our ambassador this year since she was the first ever recipient of a gsport award back in 2006.”
Says Charlotte Nsubuga-Mukasa, Head of Momentum Marketing: “The aim of the gsport Awards – to raise the profile of and encourage the support of women’s sport – aligns perfectly with Momentum’s drive to elevate the success of women. As in other areas of life, women in sport achieve remarkable feats, yet they often don’t celebrate their success like their male counterparts do. We are therefore thrilled to once again partner with gsport Awards to encourage women to boldly own their success.
2020 Momentum gsport Awards Categories:
1. Momentum Athlete of the Year
2. Athlete with Disability
3. Emerging Athlete of the Year
4. School Sports Star
5. Team of the Year
6. Coach of the Year
7. Woman of the Year
8. African Woman in Sport [NEW AWARD]
9. Global Woman in Sport [NEW AWARD]
10. Woman in Social Media
11. Woman in Print
12. Woman in PR and Sponsorship
13. Woman in Radio
14. Woman in TV
15. Style Star
16. Volunteer of the Year
17. Supporter of the Year
18. Special Recognition
19. Sponsor of the Year
20. Federation of the Year
21. Public Choice Award
2020 Momentum gsport Awards Citations:
22. Momentum Athlete of the Year – A South African sportswoman who has excelled at an international or senior level during the Year under Review (30 June, 2019 to 30 June, 2020).
23. Athlete with Disability – A South African sportswoman with disability who breaks records and dispels myths about people living with disability.
24. Emerging Athlete of the Year – An emerging sportswoman over the age of 18, who has excelled at a national and provincial level during the Year under Review. It honours the rising stars to inspire them to sporting greatness.
25. School Sports Star – A young girl in sport under the age of 18 who has excelled athletically. She is seen as a role model to the youth and is on her way to greatness. The focus is on personal improvement alongside outstanding achievement during the Year under Review (30 June, 2019 to 30 June, 2020).
26. Team of the Year – A team of sportswomen of any age, who have excelled as a unit during the Year under Review (30 June 2019 to 30 June, 2020) and represents the ideals of a democratic South Africa in terms of diversity and unity.
27. Coach of the Year – A coach (any gender) who has made a significant impact on women’s sport during the Year under Review (30 June, 2019 to 30 June, 2020) and is actively involved in growing the careers of South Africa’s leading sportswomen.
28. Woman of the Year – A formidable woman who contributes significantly to the growth of sport in South Africa and leads the way in breaking boundaries and opening doors for other women.
29. African Woman in Sport [NEW AWARD] – This new award seeks to honour a woman, who is impacting sport on the continent, and going the extra mile to raise the profile of women’s sport in Africa.
30. Global Woman in Sport [NEW AWARD] – This new award seeks to honour a woman, who is impacting sport globally, and going the extra mile to put women’s sport on the map internationally.
31. Woman in Social Media – A woman who creates powerful online content about SA women in sport and demonstrates a convincing edge using Social Media during the Year under Review.
32. Woman in Print – A woman in print who is excelling in her environment and using her position to create powerful journalist content about SA women in sport.
33. Woman in PR and Sponsorship – A woman in the public relations and sponsorship space who works to build the brand and business of women’s sport during the Year under Review.
34. Woman in Radio – A woman in sport who is using her voice to promote women’s sport content on radio and demonstrates a convincing edge as a radio journalist during the Year under Review.
35. Woman in TV – A woman who has successfully broken into the male-dominated world of sports TV and also uses her platform to create powerful content about SA women in sport.
36. Style Star – A vibrant South African woman in sport who has become synonymous with a leading sense of style and elegance and serves as an inspiration to all women in sport who aspire to grow and build powerful personal brands.
37. Volunteer of the Year – Volunteers are the backbone of amateur sport and this long serving individual (any gender) selflessly gives their time and resources to help raise the profile of women’s sport in South Africa.
38. Supporter of the Year – An individual who goes out of his or her way to fuel the success of our sportswomen by pulling their weight to ensure their favourites get across the line.
39. Special Recognition – An individual who goes beyond the call of duty, and has made a long and positive impact on SA women in sport.
40. Sponsor of the Year – A commercial sponsor who has exceeded its competitors in supporting women’s sport during the Year under Review
41. Federation of the Year – A sports federation that has made the greatest strides to grow women’s sport commercially and include women in leadership positions.
42. Public Choice – A 2020 gsport Awards Finalist who best activated their supporter community and received the most public votes at the gsport website without winning the Award they were a Finalist for.
Social Media: @gsport4girls on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Youtube
Media Queries: Celine Abrahams – [email protected]