The World Baseball Softball Confederation (WSBC) announced new dates for the inaugural WBSC U-18 Women’s Softball World Cup on Thursday, 3 December 2020.
This elite international youth women’s softball event will now be played from 28 August to 5 September 2021 at the Villa Maria del Triunfo complex, in Lima, Peru.
The tournament was originally scheduled to be played from 23-30 August this year but had to be postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The 16 teams qualified to battle for the title of World Champion in this newly reformatted age-category remain as follows:
- Africa (1): World No. 26 South Africa
- Americas (5): No. 1 USA, No. 3 Canada, No. 4 Puerto Rico, No. 5 Mexico and No. 19 Peru (host)
- Asia (3): No. 2 Japan, No. 6 Chinese Taipei and No. 7 China
- Europe (3): No. 9 Netherlands, No. 10 Italy and No. 12 Czech Republic
- Oceania (2): No. 8 Australia and No. 16 New Zealand
- Wild Cards (2): No. 11 Philippines, No. 48 Colombia
Due to the one-year postponement of the tournament, all players who would have been eligible to participate in the 2020 edition of the WBSC global tournament will still be able to play in next year’s youth Softball World Cup.
The WBSC, together with the Peruvian Softball Federation and the Peruvian Sports Institute, will continue to monitor the global pandemic situation with the relevant authorities and participating National Teams/Federations.
Photo Caption: Madelein Bester in action for Africa’s single qualifier to the postponed World Baseball Softball Confeder’s U-18 Women’s Softball World Cup, to be hosted from 28 August to 5 September 2021 at the Villa Maria del Triunfo complex, in Lima, Peru. Photo: Supplied